Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Men and women just as friends

Can a man and a woman be just friends?

By Sarah Fielding - Click by Lavalife





Sometimes friendship between members of the opposite sex is as innocent -- and powerful -- as the bond between siblings. (Comstock)


In the classic romance, When Harry Met Sally..., Billy Crystal tells Meg Ryan men and women can never be friends because the sex part always gets in the way.

But research and personal experience have shown that having close friends of the opposite sex can be an enriching and positive experience that doesn't have to lead to the bedroom.

Men benefit from...

Insider information about 'what women want'
Dating and relationships advice from an independent, 'sisterly' source
Emotional support and understanding from a sympathetic female, when needed
The opportunity to meet -- and date -- her single friends
The opportunity to discuss shared 'feminine' hobbies or interests
Women benefit from...

Getting the scoop on what 'makes a man tick'
A sense of security and/or protection having a male friend affords
A less emotionally demanding friendship than one with another woman
The opportunity to meet -- and date -- his single friends
The opportunity to discuss shared 'masculine' hobbies or interests
That's all good in theory but it's not always easy to cope when your partner's best friend shops in the same underwear department as you. It's sometimes hard not to imagine that they secretly fancy your partner or to obsess about the amount of time they spend together.

And while becoming more common, best friends of the opposite sex still raise an eyebrow, and can be the cause of lots of tension and friction in relationships.


Here are some common cross-sex friendship scenarios.

Brotherly-Sisterly Love

Sometimes friendship between members of the opposite sex is as innocent -- and powerful -- as the bond between siblings.

"We've never been there, and we never will," says Phil, 30, referring to the 'sex thing.' "We're mates through and through -- she's like my little sister. It probably even upsets her a little bit that I don't think of her that way, she can be quite vain. But I love her."

When to worry: If your partner's friend is an ever-present element in your life. Close friendships are great but couples need time and space to develop and nurture their primary relationship.

The Emotional Substitute

A good friend is hard to find but are they really just friends or are they in denial about the true nature of their relationship?

"My friendship with Jeff was there before any boyfriends came along," says Danielle, 37, who met her male best buddy in high school, "and it's been there long after romances have fizzled out. We have something quite special that in a way is more committed and long-lasting than other relationships have been, for either of us."

When to worry: Sometimes a close friendship provides a person with an emotional connection that's lacking in their primary romantic relationship. If you feel this may be the case with your partner, it's worth raising the issue.

The Unrequited Lover

It's tough having an ex on the scene, especially one that reinvents him or herself as your partner's best friend. But is it friendship they're after or a second bite of the cherry?

"If I'd known that Damien had actually shagged my girlfriend, I wouldn't have been so keen to have him hanging around," says Bill, 27. "She said it was a once-off and that it didn't mean anything, but I'm not so sure he sees it like that. It does make me feel uncomfortable having him in the picture," he says.

When to worry: If the ex still harbors feelings for your partner -- or worse, your partner is still carrying a torch -- you could have a tricky situation on your hands. Discuss your feelings with your partner and make an effort to spend more time with him or her... alone.

The Creepy Crawly

Sometimes, your partner's self-esteem and confidence is bound up in their friendship with a person of the opposite sex.

"My girlfriend Lee has a good male friend -- I call him 'The Guru.' He's into all sorts of New Age stuff, and she's forever chatting to him about star signs and crystals and other rubbish," says Ben, 25. "He's always offering to massage her shoulders. I think he's a sleaze, but she doesn't see it."

When to worry: If your partner and their best buddy have a level of intimacy or affection that makes you uncomfortable, it's best to speak your mind or jealousy will kill any hopes your romantic relationship has.

If your partner's opposite-sex friendship is really bothering you, ask yourself why? Is it unfounded insecurity or even jealousy... or is there something more to it?




This story was posted on Fri, February 22, 2008

11 comments:

Theo Vito said...

Had a conversation last night with some lady-friends about this exact same thing. Here are their thoughts (verbatim):

"If a man is rich and hot, I'm interested. If not, he's a friend."

"I like to have male friends. They buff up my ego and I don't have to put out!"

"Everyone of my girlfriends loves to have a lot of man friends around. We know that they all want something more, but that doesn't matter, we'll just get them to buy us dinner and change the oil in our cars."

"If a man doesn't start buying me expensive stuff very soon in the relationship, he becomes a 'friend' really fast."

"I'm hot. I'm fabulous. I know it. That's why I have a lot of male friends. They love to try to impress me but it doesn't work. SHOW ME THE MONEY!!"

Starting to see a commonality here?

Chanel said...

I am so sorry Theo these are the women you call "Lady Friends"
They must be very young- I would not even have female 'friends' that thought or behaved this way towards men!
I am sorry- these females- do not sound like "Ladies" at all- sorry this is what represents your friends.

I am also sorry- from the way they talk- they seem to have deeply insulted you as well.....
I do not know what else to say.
So sorry this is the best you can find for female friends- Oh I did find one good spot- at least you are not dating any of them!

Chanel said...

Theo, something to think about nice people use things- not people.

Theo Vito said...

The conversation took place amongst a neighbour, her sister and some of their friends.

"They must be very young"

Youngest is 37, oldest is in her mid-40s.

"they seem to have deeply insulted you as well....."

Well, yes and no. I mean, I asked the question so I was prepared for the answer, though I must admit they came across as more vitriolic than I anticipated. I also was the only guy in the group for a short time which was when I asked. A few drinks were being served as well which may have coloured the responses a bit (I avoided the alcohol as I was going out my motorcycle later and won't drink and ride).

"at least you are not dating any of them!"

I actually had dated one of them for a short time but it didn't last long and never got past the handshake stage. She was the one who made the rich/hot comment, so I suppose I wasn't rich/hot enough! :-)

Are all women like this?

Of course not.

That said, I don't know one single fellow among my male friends (who I have more of than female friends) who has not been burned at least once by some woman who used him for his resources and then discarded him because he didn't measure up in the finances/looks department.

So whenever I see or hear a woman who's looking for a relationship but wants to establish "friends first," I head for the hills.

Chanel said...

Well, regarding the last two paragraphs--

1) I agree- women can and do behave in this manner- however- on the other side-- men have been known to discard a woman 'cause she did not measure up in the looks/finance department -after he shagged her (sometimes for months). That is human relationships.

2) If a woman states frankly to you in the beginning she just wants to be friends - believe her. If you want more- run for the hills.

Theo, you seem like a very smart man! Drive your bike safe- without the booze and the best of luck in trying to figure this out!

Like the rest of us! Join the club!

--------- said...

Seems that there are a couple of threads going on in this topic at the same time, and I run the risk of forgetting which thread I'm responding to.

Anyway, to your point, "1) I agree- women can and do behave in this manner- however- on the other side-- men have been known to discard a woman 'cause she did not measure up in the looks/finance department -after he shagged her (sometimes for months). That is human relationships."

No argument there. Yes, some men can be real cads, and I'm no apologist for that sort of loutish behaviour. But playing the victim card is hardly "strong and independent" behaviour. Some - alas, sadly, many - women tend to want it both ways: They want to be the strong, independent and self-assured type, yet they get involved with "bad boys," get treated like dirt and then complain that there aren't any good men around.

In the meantime, strong and stable and secure men are available all over the place but the women aren't attracted to them because they're not the bad-boy type.

"2) If a woman states frankly to you in the beginning she just wants to be friends - believe her. If you want more- run for the hills."

Fully agree. So tell your single women-friends that are on dating websites and whatnot that when they include "friends first" in their list of requirements, they are cutting back their own dating pool by 90%. Men aren't stupid (well, mostly anyway). We know what "friends first" means, which is why we'll simply avoid the complication.

As far as figuring this all out, I'll defer to Sigmund Freud, who, after decades of study, still could not answer the question, "What do women want?" And I think I know why he couldn't answer it: He couldn't figure out what women want because women themselves don't know what they want. Bad boy? Successful, rich man? Muscled hunk? Dynamo in the kitchen? Great with kids? Devoted and great in bed? Fashionable?

You can have one. Maybe two.

As far as us guys go, we're pretty simple in what we'd like: Physically attractive, drama-free and sexually assertive.

Yea. Really.

Chanel said...

Yup- once again I must agree!

Anonymous said...

not just the ones, the over 40 crowd are high into this as you know

Chanel said...

Last comment-- could you elaborate- not sure what point you are making? Thanks

Anonymous said...

NOPE, I lost my thought! Go figure. It may have been to do with "not just the younger women" in Theo vito's comment re his ? to the neighbors, but adding the statement that the over fourty crowd does this too. Sorry for the confusion, sometimes I get way ahead of myself in thinking[if you want to call it that] and typing.

Anonymous said...

I have been with some one for 6 years plus and i am 24 turning 25, most of you here have a few years on me. But this comment is specifi9cally for Chanel. Stop telling the whole world about what you want in life, actions speak louder than words. As far as what men want, i think that everything you have to say here isint about what men want, its about what you want.