Monday, August 3, 2009

getting married after 50

Recently I have had this chat with a number of men friends and just today with a female friend from high school. We are getting ready for a high school reunion and I have not seen this girl for almost 30 years-- we ended up at different high schools but I am still invited to this one.
At any rate, this lady has never been married, has no kids and like me thinks that getting married after 50 is the dream.
I, like some of my male friends, tend to agree. For some, like me, having kids, raising them and dealing with life just does not blend well with a later marriage. So, for me, I have been thinking that after 50 would be a terrific time to get married. Kid(s) are grown and hopefully gone for ever, life is stable and you have a better idea of the kind of relationship and partner you want. You know how much time you want to give, and want free, you understand the need for folks to still live their own life, perhaps time to slow down, enjoy a great banter of the minds without taking it personally ( a great intellectual debate is wonderful!) you will both know if you want to travel and where, live fancy, off grid or a combination of both, you should have enough understand and compassion to make a great companion--- yup!
I think marriage after 50 sounds like a fine idea.
Now, I need to firm up my wish list and wait a few years!

3 comments:

My Destiny said...

yes, I like what you write. When you grow older, you will know what you want in life.

Anonymous said...

So long as you don't live in the past.

My Destiny said...

yes, agreed. The past will show you the way of today life. Live now.